Police in the state of Minnesota are responding to what some experts are calling a drug epidemic. The US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) is partnering with police near Minnetonka, MN to form a task force to confront this issue. This task force focuses on prosecuting those who steal, distribute or use diverted addictive medications in any criminal fashion.
Intervene Before It Is Too Late
The danger of addiction is not always evident to those who begin using drugs or drinking. Thankfully, not every drug and alcohol abuse case will end in overdose, but when a loved one is living with active drug dependence, their behavior and choices negatively impact everyone around them. Staging an intervention is one way to confront the individual with their destructive behavior. A typical intervention consists of several steps:
- Meet with those affected by the individual’s behavior but not the substance abuser. Voice your concerns and plan another meeting with this group and the individual.
- Seek professional help to learn how to best conduct the meeting.
- Plan what each person will say, including highlighting effects of the individual’s behavior on each person.
- Gather the group to confront the individual privately.
- Call for the individual to seek help immediately. Outline consequences for not following through.
- Affirm care and concern for the individual and assure them that treatment is for the best.
Recovery From Drug and Alcohol Abuse Can Begin Today
Recognizing substance abuse in a loved one is frightening, but it is also the first step in a healthy process. If you believe that someone that you care about in Minnetonka is suffering from drug and alcohol abuse, call us now. Treatment options are available to help your loved one moved toward recovery and away from a destructive addiction.
Relate Counseling Center
15320 Minnetonka Blvd # 200
Minnetonka, MN 55345-1504