The relationship between alcohol abuse and long-term health issues like cirrhosis of the liver are well documented. But apart from damaging their own minds and bodies, alcohol abusers negatively affect those around them as well. Intoxicated individuals will often take greater risks and make more questionable decisions than they would if they were sober.
According to 2011 Dakota County, MN statistics, 6 percent of motor vehicle injuries and 12.5 percent of motor vehicle fatalities in the county were alcohol-related. Although the rates of deaths and injuries decreased between 2001 and 2010, drunk driving is a persistent public health and safety issue in Minnesota towns like Burnsville.
Effective Tools to Combat Alcohol Abuse
Tools do exist to help individuals fight alcohol abuse. A successful recovery program usually has several components.
- Intervention. Individuals trapped in the cycle of alcohol abuse may not seek treatment on their own. The intervention of loved ones is often necessary.
- Continued involvement of loved ones. Friends and family members should learn and grow alongside the individual in order to offer assistance apart from counselors or support groups.
- Continuing care. Understanding recovery is a process. It’s important to be patient with that process and help your loved one to stay on track.
- Group involvement. Seeking support from a group that can share struggles.
- Professional care. Pursuing professional counseling and treatment.
Breaking the Cycle
If your loved one in Burnsville, MN has problems with alcohol abuse, they are placing you and others who are close to you at risk. There are options available to help them break the cycle of addiction. Call the number listed above now to learn more about getting the help that your family member needs.
Dakota Treatment Center
11939 River Hills Dr
Burnsville, MN 55337-1354
River Ridge Treatment Center
1510 E 122nd St
Burnsville, MN 55337-6857