Columbus, Indiana, is a city of 44,000 that is ranked 11th on the list of safest cities in America. National Geographic Traveler also once ranked it 11th on its list of historic destinations, and the Nick Jr. magazine included it on its list of “Ten Most Playful Towns.”
A Problem in Columbus, IN
On the other hand, Columbus has a problem. In March 2013, the Columbus police department announced an uptick in drug-related incidents. In just the previous month, they had made the following arrests:
- A 34-year-old man was arrested and charged with dealing in a controlled substance.
- A 20-year-old was charged with the same offense.
- A man, 23, was arrested and charged with selling methamphetamine and possession of methamphetamine.
- Another, also 23, was charged with dealing in a controlled substance, a Class B felony.
- Another man, age 22, was charged with possession of methamphetamine and also with illegally transporting anhydrous ammonia in a 25-gallon tank. Anhydrous ammonia is a key chemical in the manufacture of meth. The tank was on the passenger seat of the car the man was driving.
Only a couple of months after this initial spike, Columbus police arrested 10 more people in a raid on two houses. Each person was charged with an offense related to methamphetamine.
Get Help Today
Columbus, like so many other communities, has discovered that it has a drug problem. The police are doing all they can, but drugs are not a problem for police only. They are everyone’s problem, especially for the families of those who are living with a substance abuse problem. If your loved one is struggling with addiction, we urge you to find out all you can about helping him or her heal. Contact us at the number above. We can help.
Columbus Behavioral Center
2223 Poshard Rd
Columbus, IN 47203-1844