The teenage years are filled with change, growth and self-discovery.
Many teens form their first romantic relationships throughout high school. Teens in the later stages of puberty begin to tap into their sexuality. The transition from childhood into adulthood can be stressful and marked by uncertainty. Many teens feel an overwhelming desire to fit in. Teens desperately want to be perceived as “cool” by others.
How Addiction Starts
Older friends and acquaintances, or athletic teammates, may host a get-together. At the party, a 17-year old teen boy is introduced to cocaine. Though he knows illicit drugs are potentially dangerous, he does not want to be perceived as a wimp – so he indulges. The following weekend, another partygoer offers him marijuana. Before long, he is dabbling in drugs during school hours, missing soccer practice and neglecting family obligations. At an ambiguous point in his high school career, this boy has shifted from experimental drug use to a full-blown drug addiction. His parents, friends and teachers are baffled by his behavior. What are his family members to do in this situation?
Getting Help from a Program
Thankfully, teen rehab centers
welcome females and males generally between the ages of 12 and 21.
Teens enter a rehab facility either voluntarily, recognizing that their substance abuse problem is interfering with daily functioning, or through an intervention hosted by family members. Perhaps they are forced into drug rehab by their parents but are reluctant to surrender to the fact that they are powerless over drugs and alcohol. Regardless of the circumstances under which the teen enters rehab, statistics reflect that the chances of the teen recovering from an addiction are greater via teen drug addiction treatment, versus taking no action against the disease.
The Cost of Treatment
What do teen rehabs cost? The truth is teen rehab centers vary greatly in the amount of money needed to cover the costs of treatment. Factors such as location, surrounding economy and level of care are taken into consideration when calculating the price of a 30-day stay in rehab, for example. Parents can determine the cost of various teen treatment centers by researching viable options and subsequently calling the respective intake manager at each facility to discuss and/or negotiate pricing. Here you can find help getting teen rehab tips for parents.
In addition, a portion of health insurance carriers support teen treatment for addiction and/or alcoholism. Parents may contact their insurance provider for further information.
In terms of factors that increase a rehab center’s cost, the following amenities raise the stakes in terms of price:
- In-house chefs. Some residential teen rehab centers offer all-organic meals, cooked by a team of gourmet chefs
- Daily housekeeping that includes room cleaning, laundry services and bathroom cleaning services
- Transportation to and from “extra” events in and around the facility, such as weekly beach walks, trips to a local museum or carnival, or other weekly off-site options
- A favorable staff-to-client ratio; in other words, there are a small number of teen patients admitted at one time, and several staff members on-site to increase the amount of individualized attention given to each client
- A renowned, highly educated personnel. Although all rehab centers look for the best employees, the more expensive facilities can afford PhDs, MBAs and the top addiction specialists in the field
- Alternative therapy options integrated into the treatment regimen; e.g., acupuncture services, weekly yoga classes, guided meditations, equine therapy and/or art therapy courses
- Family care services. Having family members attend the rehab center and engage in family therapy is extremely beneficial to the teen clients. Having the support of family members is one of many important, predicting factors that a teen will sustain long-term sobriety
- Use of electronic devices. Some high-end teen rehab facilities have flat-screen televisions in each room, allow cell phones and laptops on a restricted-access basis and/or offer wireless internet services
Rehab and Education
Last but not least, many teen rehab centers offer academic counseling on-site with qualified teachers and professionals running academic courses.
Academic counseling on-site is ideal for teens in whom the need to seek treatment exists in conjunction with a desire to avoid the detriment of missing time in school classes. Academic courses, teachings and homework keep teens engaged. In a rehab center, teens do not have the option of going off to a friend’s house to use drugs or contacting their drug dealer to score dope when classes end. Living within the premises of a teen rehab center keeps teen addicts focused on recovery only, outside of schoolwork. Thus, a healthy balance is achieved. Hopefully, it is a balance that the teen will emulate upon exiting the treatment center.
The biggest gift a teen addict – or an addict of any age, for that matter — can receive is that of sobriety.
Through rehabilitation, he or she will undoubtedly take sobriety seriously, protecting it beyond the scope of the treatment period. It is only through hard work, dedication and therapy to address underlying issues that teen addicts can truly comprehend the importance of their sobriety. The cost and benefits of different teen rehab options are well worth the initial cash outlay when considering the weight sobriety will hold in teen’s likelihood of success in future endeavors.